The artist that I have chosen to emulate is Man Ray. His work has a certain depressing vibe that I would normally not like but says a lot in a little amount of detail. The facial expressions that each subject shares are all very common as well as the surroundings in which they are placed. But I find that there seems to always be some sort of object or scenery that gives some sort of mystery to the photo and completely changes its meaning. He manages to take a normally dull scene and make it interesting through manipulation of small details in the image.
Man Ray’s photographs work through common facial expressions and different surroundings and adding some sort of subject or scenery that will completely change the meaning of the photograph. His work never focuses on the scenery but rather how it affects the subject. The photos seem to all be staged so I will stage the photo I take. I’d like to emulate his style by using the object that is usually used to change the subject and make that the subject. So rather than having a face photographed next to a mask, I would change what kind of subject it was while putting the mask in this case over that subject.
I’m planning on using a regular human face, but maybe an animal’s to emulate his style because his photographs of faces are the most appealing to me. Using the human face I would make it clear that it was a human through showing the body but I would remove the human face and put a mask over the face. If it were an animal I chose to use, rather than showing human emotions through that added subject, I would be showing what the animal was thinking that we wouldn’t assume. I will take these photos in black and white.
No comments:
Post a Comment